Tuesday 5 April 2011

Cycling Laos

cycling laos="cycling laos"
Cycling in Laos?

I am thinking of going cycling through Vietnam and Laos - Any advice experiences anyone can share?


I knew a woman who cycled extensively around Cambodia and Vietnam. Not sure about Laos. She always had a great time and it was a great way to meet local people (who often thought she was mad). I don't see why you should have any problems with this and I'm sorry I can't put you in touch with someone with experience. If I were you I'd start in Cambodia. Cycling around Siem Reap would be awesome and you could pace yourself and adjust to the climate change in a relatively easy environment. You could then take a boat to Battambang (3 hours dependant on the time of year / water levels) and make your way to Phnom Penh. The road from Battambang ranges from the good to the bad and ugly but may have been improved in the last year or so. It's definitely do-able. There are some places to stop over en-route. After enjoying Phnom Penh you can head down the Mekong and travel Vietnam. I'm afraid I'm not so active but my friend did all these trips. We lost touch or I'd pass her info on. I'm not sure of the feasibility of Laos as the distance between towns seemed pretty big. That said it's a while since I was there. At that time you had to watch for the odd sniper too, so get some good advice about being out in the wilds alone!! Laos was stunningly beautiful though and well worth a visit. I hope this has been helpful, I wasn't going to answer but nobody else has!

Re: unexploded ordnance - if you keep on proper roads and don't leave the paths you should be fine. Doubt you'll be doing cross country on that bicycle!!


Section 2 - Cycling in Laos









cycling laos

No comments:

Post a Comment