Sunday 3 October 2010

Language Of Laos

language of laos="language of laos"
What language is best to learn out of these?

I was thinking to learn German or Danish. I know Danish Swedish and Norwegian are intelligible is German also intelligible with these 3? NOTE Not all people that speak one can understand the other. Like Thai and Laos Portuguese and Spanish etc.
Hmm. I KNOW about Swedish Danish and Norwegian... German is not inteligable but there is a lot of common vocab okay. I have European dictionaries for all 4 and I can see the vocab is extreamly similar some words on paper seem to be the same. I learn languages easily so passion for one is not of importants. I speak spanish and am able to understand much Italian because of it.. If you speak Danish I'd like your kind logical opinion please thanks.


The Scandinavian languages (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish) are very alike. Danish differs from the other two in pronunciation and Swedish has more words that the other two don't have (Norwegian and Danish are very alike because the modern Norwegian is based on Danish), but other than that, they are extremely similar and people from the 3 countries understand each other very easily (though the Swedish and the Danish might have problems with each other). The three languages are more alike than anything else I can think of. The fact that they are in fact three different languages is just a historical thing. They could very easily be three different dialects of the same language. So if you learned Danish, you would find that pretty much all of Scandinavia was open to you.

Still I would suggest German. See, if you combine the native speakers of Danish, Swedish and Norwegian, you would end up somewhere between 20 and 25 million. German has over 90 million. And there are also far more people who have German as a 2nd or 3rd language than the ones who have a Scandinavian one. And chances are that if you take Danish, it's gonna take a long time before you can understand people speaking it natively. And then another long time before you get Norwegian. And Swedish is on all the way on the other side of the Scandinavian language tree, and they contribute with a little under half of all Scandinavians.

As for the question of Scandinavians understand German and the other way around: I am Norwegian and I can understand about a third of the German words when I see it written. When I hear it spoken it'll probably go down to one 10th. They are related, yes, but still very different. With the amount of English words making it to Norway as slang, I'd guess a non-English speaking Scandinavian would understand more English than German. Maybe with the exception of the Danes who live all the way down south, at the German border.

Either way, whatevery you choose: Good luck ;]


Want to hear the Laotian language?









language of laos

No comments:

Post a Comment