Sunday 24 October 2010

Laos Development

laos development="laos development"
How much would it cost to build a school or library?

I am asking mainly about Laos, but some information about Thailand would be helpful too.

It looks like I am going back to SE Asia soon....if not this October, then next April. I would love to do something to help in the economic development of Laos.

I was thinking of doing some fundraising to get the funds to build a school or library in Laos; and if the fundraising isn't enough, I or my family will cover the rest.

So......how much would it cost to build a 2500 sq foot library or 10 000 sq feet school?
Oh....would I be able to get help from the local government like tax relief, etc?
I have asked certain people in Lao construction...they told me $40 000 for a 3000-4000 sq building...to me that seems low...but asking others before committing more would be helpful.


I do not know about the construction costs in Laos, but I would not bother about a library. Go for a school building or teaching equipment/materials.

Do not expect any help from the government in Lao PDR. From my discussions with the Swedish Aid Agency and the (now former) British Consul in Vientiane, I heard that Lao government officials frequently have the audacity to demand bribes in order to approve aid projects.

Instead, you should consider finding and approaching a NGO or a corporation that may be willing to help co-sponsor your project. The link will give you an idea of some that are active in Thailand.


Lao Development - Buakeo









laos development

No comments:

Post a Comment