Friday 16 July 2010

Laos Trekking

laos trekking_2="laos trekking"
Travel Advice on Malaria Tablets?

I will be backpacking SE Asia and wondered if others take precautions on taking malaria tablets. I will be travelling for around 9-12 months
I have been to see the nurse for jabs etc and she gave me a form saying for a 2 week trip costs approx £20. Over 9-12months that quite alot of money and alot of tablets.
I've heard of people not taking tablets because side effects and mainly the price and have been fine...lucky maybe? or is taking the tablets over reacting as in some leaflets it says dont go out between 11am and 3pm (seriously no one is going to do that. think thats abit over the top)
Just advice from other backpackers on what they done, heard stories, is it really risky, things like that please. I know malaria can kill
I will be going on treks etc
Countries include: China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Borneo, Brunei, New Zealand, Australia


Malaria is rarely fatal if you have enough money to treat it, and you probably will if you're not from a third-world country yourself. Honestly I have never worried with malaria pills when I travelled and I have never gotten malaria. You can prevent malaria in most cases just by preventing mosquito bites. Use long sleeves/pants, mosquito repellent with DEET, and a mosquito net for sleeping. If you do contract malaria by chance, just see a doctor wherever you are. It's really not essential to hustle back to the West. In fact, the doctor where you are is more likely to know what kind of mosquito bit you and therefore what strain of malaria you have, and can give you a more effective treatment. Malaria pills for such a long trip are really cost-prohibitive and may be unnecessary, unless you have a weak immune system (you have an immunideficiency disorder, you are very young or very old, etc).


15-Day Laos Trek with Steve Van Beek









laos trekking

No comments:

Post a Comment